Wednesday, July 14, 2010

If it's free, it's for me!

Every excellent gift and every perfect gift is from above, descending from the father of lights, with whom there is no change, nor any shadow of alteration. James 1:17

Last Sunday after church, Russell realized it was July 11th. After a short discussion about how funny it would be to go get a Slurpee to celebrate, we headed directly to the closest 7-11 after lunch. Low and behold... they were giving away free Slurpee's all day! What a deal!

You will notice to the left, this is the employee who graciously allowed us to take a picture with him to celebrate such a momentous occasion. He was truly a sweet man and he was extremely excited!

After we left, Russell and I looked at each other and laughed at how excited we got. It still brings a smile to my face.
It amazes me, there are moments as a parent that God allows his grace to help me enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Nothing less is expected in God's own perfect design that we can see pure joy through the eyes of our children.

Matthew 18 says : "Amen I say to you, unless you change and become like little children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." What can my daughters teach me about greatness? The beauty found in being humble and lowly of heart. Sometimes in my day, I let my own pride and self-reliance get the best of me. Or, that personal unrelenting pull of this world, luring me back to the so called "good" things that aren't quite the best things in my life. A wonderful mentor in my life said it perfectly "God tests the heart, both to expose what is hurtful and to strengthen what is good." How glorious to serve a God who can can keep my path in the right direction as long as I'm yielding to him.

Free Slurpee's are definitely the simple pleasures that life has to offer, but I'm slowly learning, the only source of perfect joy, is found in constantly strengthening my relationship with Him. "The mind is a great servant...but a lousy master".

I gasp for open mouth in my yearning for your commands. Psalms 131

1 comment: