Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pretty New

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord - Psalm 27:14

Last week, Kinley and I went to a new consignment shop around the corner from our house. As I was looking through the clothes, Kinley came up to me and found a couple of crazy bands. For those of you who haven’t heard of the new craze, these are colorful uniquely shaped rubber bands that snap back into form when stretched and released.

Of course, not a surprise to me how my four year old knew exactly what they were! She couldn’t wait to get them home. As we were standing there discussing what we were going to do, we decided she needed to talk about taking them home with the owner "Angela". After a very entertaining conversation with Angela, they determined the best thing to do is put them in an envelope and hold on to them through the weekend. Just in case the little person who left them wound up coming back for them.

I don’t think God could have given us a better opportunity to learn this important virtue called patience. Being a mother is by far the most humbling experience I can ask for in my personal struggles with this virtue.

Patience takes work, discipline and self-control. In James 1:17 we are told that God our Father gives good gifts to us, His children. Not only does he give good gifts, but He knows perfectly what to give and when to give it.

There are many times I'm like my daughter, I want what I want when I want it. So I make the mistake of running out ahead of God's plan. If only I could have the perfect marriage, things would be better. If only my kids would let me get through the store without a wrestling match I wouldn't get so angry. If he would just fulfill that lifelong dream, I would be content. I am tempted to let my wants and desires get in the way of His plan for my life. But truth be told, God is never late.

I have seen many of God's perfect gifts unfold as I reflect on my life and patience has become the main key. When it comes to my spiritual growth, this too is a long process that requires perseverance and of course patience.

So, after four days in agonizing anticipation, we went in to see if the bands were still there. Thankfully Kinley left with a huge smile on her face and four crazy bands around her little wrist. Yes, God graciously continues to give me opportunities to grow in patience on a daily basis. I couldn't be more thankful for his subtle reminders.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. - James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment