Saturday, September 18, 2010

Got Lemons?


The girls and I just sat down for dinner when Russell called from the airport explaining his car wouldn’t start.  I told him I would head his direction as soon as dinner was finished. Conveniently, there are two different airports in Dallas, so to make the adventure more memorable; I ended up driving to the wrong airport in the pouring down rain.

Have you noticed when you’re a mom the more times you’re thrown into life’s unexpected situations, the more resilience you tend to build?  That’s because God knows that as a mother, we must face these small trials in order to see that we do not have total control over our situation. He always finds a way to graciously throw us those unexpected lemons. 

I finally made it to the right airport and after we made it home from our night of adventure, I started wondering why these things happen in my life. As I walked into my bedroom closet, I read the small plaque hanging on my wall that says; “Be still and know that I am God” Psalms 46:10.

What an inconvenience it was to go through that trial. But, what if going through that event was God’s protecting hand on my husband not driving that night?  Or even taking that small detour prevented something bigger from happening?  Yes, it’s true “understanding God would be easier if we had infinite IQ.”  But unfortunately we don’t.

Although I will never understand the entirety of my “whys” in life, maybe it’s through these ordinary mundane things where God is speaking to me the most?  There will always be those unexpected lemons, just like last week I spent 45 minutes with Bailey in the waiting room until finally they said they had forgotten about me.  Or that inconvenient moment half way through the grocery store when Kinley needed to go potty and she couldn’t wait. Sometimes the lemons seem to come so often I wonder if I should start my own lemonade stand.


But, it’s during those moments I have to stop and recognize that this is where God wants me to be. I have to trust that it’s through these little promptings in my daily life, He is speaking directly to me. “Be still and know that I am God” has taken on a new meaning in my life and one that will remind me that I must be still and know He is my only way; He is the only one that can give me deeper purpose in life.

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I think about life's inconveniences Diane..... instead of getting mad or frustrated I just tell myself God must have had a reason for it all.... he intervened on my behalf and I may never know why. But I'm thankful!

    PS. Brad's car battery died on Thursday. I had to go get him from work. Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go in with you but instead of a lemonade stand let's make a lemonade company :)

    Love your words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete