Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Double Celebration

I just completed the invitations to the girl’s birthday party. Wow, where has the time gone? My sweet Kinley is turning 5!!! It seemed like it was just yesterday that I was holding her in my arms for the first time. Having her was one of the most amazing life changing moments in my life. I never thought something so small could have so much impact on my life.

And then, three years later on the exact same day, I felt this miracle happen again when I had Bailey. They both have added so much joy to my life. But, as any mom would agree, having children also means A LOT of work… No one can ever really prepare you for the load you carry with raising them. The seemingly unending responsibilities that go with parenting and knowing you are responsible for every phase of their lives overwhelms me at times. I do find that sometimes the task God has given me can be daunting and hard to enjoy.

Psalm 113 says that God give children to mothers, and when he does the mother IS happy. I look at this and struggle sometimes because I feel like I need to find fulfillment in other “things” rather than in my call as a mother.  Maybe it's the go out and conquer the world attitude I've always had?  But, I can honestly say during these last five years, I’ve come along way in this way of thinking. I am learning that when I thank God for what he has given me, and look at the unending blessings as a mother, there is nothing more important.

I know the only way to achieve true happiness in my life is by accepting this role. If my focus is on raising my children with all the love and dedication I possess, and not on an endless quest to find fulfillment in other places, He WILL give me that satisfaction. When those negatives start to arise (and they do), my focus should be directed on appreciating God for the gift of motherhood and find comfort in knowing there is nothing in this world more important than nurturing and loving my children.

So as I seal these invitations and prepare for this wonderful occasion, I am reminded to enjoy these moments they wont last long and learn to let God fill me with the endless joys of being a HAPPY mother in all circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they are already 5 and 2! Wow! Great pictures..... they are so sweet. I know you always question yourself in your role as a mother Diane but I truly feel you are an amazing mom. I'm not just saying that either... you really are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Holli for your sweet words. Now, if you are up for crazy fun we would love to have you! If not, I completely understand:)

    ReplyDelete