Monday, June 20, 2011

Needed; a little less talk and a lot more action!

My friend Kirsten came in town today and invited us to meet her for lunch. After deciding on the Rainforest Café, I was so excited about the idea of sharing this fun experience with the kiddos. After all, back in our day, animals were only crackers right? I can’t deprive them of the things I was never able to do. I really do think that sometimes I was born without the “wait, you shouldn’t do that" gene.

I should have gotten my first hint on how things would turn out when Bailey thought she was being attacked by alligators and gorillas. Anyway, to make a long story short, it turned into an event that made me want to go bang my head against the closest fish tank and fire Kristen for allowing me to do something so extreme.

On our drive home, I told Kinley we were all taking a nap when we got home. She told me she didn’t care about taking a nap and it didn’t bother her AT ALL...(let me just add, she hates naps). I could feel my eye twitching so I knew it would be better to just remain silent and get home with my dignity intact. After about the 15th time making her go back to her room, she finally realized it was a small price to pay for her disobedience.

Sometimes I wish parenting wasn't so freakin' challenging. I fondly remember the day when I was a perfect parent with perfect children...back before I actually had any. When it comes to disciplining my girls, I find myself thinking a lot more has been "said" than "done". I'm all bark and no bite.

NOT ANYMORE! Good-bye empty promises and undelivered threats of consequences. By the end of summer, I will be spending less of my time and energy on disiplining and more time enjoying my role as a mom because I love them too much to give in. Persistance, gentleness and time are my three allies. NO MORE! So there, there and there!
Thanks Kristen for sending me these pictures of a day I will never forget! 

This is the part where I should have gone into hibernation. She was so scared she covered her poor eyes. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor Bailey..... ;) I think your new parenting plan sounds great!

    ReplyDelete