Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hope is real

Today I had the opportunity to help out with the Beads of Courage program at Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. The children who participate in this program receive colored beads that represent milestones, procedures, and acts of bravery. For instance, they get a yellow bead for an overnight hospital stay, a white one for chemotherapy, and a glow-in-the-dark bead for radiation treatment and so on…


As I was helping my friend Suzanne take pictures of the children wearing their beaded necklaces, I noticed some of them had at least 20 feet of beads around their neck. As a mother, I can’t even begin to comprehend the trials these parents must be going through watching their children suffer. my heart aches... But, as I looked into the eyes of these families, I also felt a sense of hope, peace and joy. It just amazes me how God has the power to bring goodness even in the darkest hours of life.

Today reminded me that whatever situations we may face in life, we should never feel hopeless or alone.  God’s love has a way of igniting flames of hope and can encourage us through any trial.  May God help these beautiful families going though such a difficult trial and continue to bless them with peace that surpasses all understanding. 





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful program this hospital offers... that is amazing... thanks for sharing this on your blog Diane. I would love to find some volunteer opportunities when I'm able to do that so this gives me much to think about :)

    ReplyDelete