Monday, April 2, 2012

Are you listening?

I turned on the news tonight and I cry at the tragedy of human life. My candle flickers in the darkness of this broken world. Poverty and tragedy flood our news as I see innocent families torn apart. I begin to wonder where are you God. I feel angry and I pray for help on those who suffer injustice.

I try to comfort a friend who is going through a tough marriage while seeing the helplessness she endures because her heart tries desperately to do your will. I ask you “What’s happening to our prayers, God?” “Are you using their trials for a greater good in Heaven?" We need you Lord to come down and lift us out of this darkness that surrounds us. Why do you hide your face?

But still in this gloom, I hear a small voice saying to me “how long must I wait for you to put on the mind of Christ?” “How long must I wait for you to live in my image?” “What are you doing with your prayers?” “Are you making them a cushion under your own feet?” “What are you doing to increase the light in this dark and needy world?”

Since I’ve become a mother, my heart aches a little more when I see these tragedies happening around me. When I watch the news, it only creates bitterness in my mouth. But it’s the world we live. This face of suffering happening in the world is something I must share with my children as my responsibility.

I turn the television off and head to bed. With my heart filled with heaviness,  I lay still and  pray my children will have the wisdom to see past the distorted images we create of our loving father. 

2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful way with workds Diane... you really do.

    It's hard to understand just why each little thing (good and bad) happens in our lives but it's all part of a BIG BIG quilt and we can only see one little square of it. That's how I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Holli! Life sure is one big quilt and the maker is sure adding lots of colors:)

    ReplyDelete