Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Small World

You hear the phrase “it’s a small world” a lot.  I know, your going to be singing this song and it will be stuck in your head all day long.  But it’s true!  It always amazes me how we encounter the same people, event, or situation in unexpected places.  For example, Russell came home the other day excited to run into a friend at the grocery store.  “It’s a small world” I started singing as he rolled his eyes at my dorkyness.   

In many ways as a mom I find myself falling into the trap of thinking that the world is so big that there is little I can do to make a significant impact in anyone’s life.  But that couldn’t be further from the truth…Let me just tell you my “world” got very small these last several days with Bailey being sick.  With no family close by, I wondered how I was going to survive.  But…God always turns my worry and anxiety into prayers and when I do this he never lets me down.  It wasn’t  easy but I will tell you it wouldn’t have been as promising if I didn’t have sweet friends in my life to help me through and encourage me when I felt overwhelmed with a very sick child and toddler

Just a simple note can do wonders for someone who is experiencing difficulty.  I received some wonderful calls and their encouraging voice gave me strength to face the day. My dear friend’s husband took care of Kinley during the long visit in the emergency clinic. While he was watching the kiddos, she went with me so I wouldn’t have to go alone.  Our wonderful mentor MOPS mom brought our family a meal.  (Do you know how happy you make a pregnant woman with a sick kiddo and a locked up toddler for a week when you come with food???)  So helping a mom with a meal or call may not seem like a big thing to you…but to the person that receives it…IT MEANS so much!

Even though our role as moms are unending acts of selfless giving, just thinking outside of ourselves and our world will help us grow in love for one another.  God never leaves your heart empty in the process either.  He always makes my heart seem a little brighter when I know I’ve met a need for someone going through a difficult time.  So… while we are busy taking care of our own families…Let us always be mindful of the “little” needs around us that really do make a significant impact. Trust me no act of kindness is too small. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh Diane... if you ever need anything from me... please let me know. I wish I would have known so I could help you out.... and I hope Bailey is ok now!

    ReplyDelete