Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day Jitters

 
While Kinley handled this morning like a pro that is... until she hit the classroom and everything fell apart.  I think the nerves and build up just got to be too much for her to handle and all of her emotions started falling out all over the place.  I felt so sad for her.
 
I still remember the night before my first day of first grade.  I stared up at my bedroom ceiling the whole night, terrified of what the new school year would bring.  I never was good at the transition from the long, lazy summer days back to the rigors of the classroom. I remember them being definitely bumpy roads even in my college years.
 
Although many might not know this about me, I was a shyer-more sensitive-type kid growing up.  I had two older brothers who coddled me and did everything for me so leaving that comfort and security I had as the baby sister was a pretty difficult transition.  I guess not much has changed since those days except now I’m an adult and I just learn to wade through those anxieties and I’ve managed to learn they just go away after a few days. 
 
I think as a parent we love our kiddos so much and we are so aware of these amazing transitions that watching them move on is bittersweet.  In the end, I’m trying to keep this in perspective.  Just as it did last year, the jitters will eventually melt away and my baby girl will fall right into her new routine.  Until then I pray.

1 comment: