Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Facing my fear

I remember the dread I felt as a child when I had to go to the dentist. It never failed every time I would go they would pull a couple of teeth because my mouth could never keep up. Today I'm thankful for my parents who went the extra mile to make sure their kiddos had the perfect set of teeth. despite the screaming and flailing all the way to the office, my mom persevered through it all.

Things haven’t improved much as I’ve gotten older. I thought my weak- kneed needle days were behind me hence three kiddos later… Nope, I still dread the dentist.

Today was the day of reckoning; I dressed for success in my khaki shorts and even went as far as putting on makeup! As drove toward the office I coached myself the whole way, come on, Diane, you can DO this.

I sat in the dental chair and began my deep breathing. I actually felt pretty calm and collective. No sweat, part of my strategy to remain upright would be to play on my strengths and engage the dental assistant into light conversation. She was so sweet and made me feel a little less uptight.

As the dentist came in the room and started prepping the area, I knew it wouldn't be long. "Ready?" the dentist smiled, "Sure," I responded with an artificial smile silently thinking, I wish I had a fast forward button I could push.

The procedure was a bit tense as the drilling began. I realized it was the sound of the drilling that makes my stomach turn. As soon as that part was over the rest of the visit was a breeze. As the procedure came to the end, kindly the Doctor and assistant asked if I was OK and said with a smile I did a really good job.

I am so embarrassed that it took me almost two years to come back for fillings and yet the whole office humbled them selves enough to let me know I wasn't alone with my fear. There's a lot to be said about empathy. When we need encouragement or hope, nothing is quite as powerful as a word from someone who understands.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.  Proverbs 25:11



This is why I like to postpone trips to the dentist office.



right before the grinding started. look at that terrified face

 this is the before shot right after they finished the drilling and before they did the fillings.

I was glad it was finally over!



1 comment:

  1. You are not alone in this fear Diane... I hate the dentist too!

    Miss you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete