Friday, March 11, 2011

Enduring Labor

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said, “I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children.


I don’t pretend to understand what this verse means in Genesis 3:16. Perhaps it means that through this suffering and by enduring childbirth and childrearing we will fully understand what God went through when we sinned by eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thereby understanding why he did what he did, helping us to put our trust in God once again.

Kids have an uncanny way of teaching us about ourselves including our sin and disobedience and about our relationship with God our heavenly father, for what child does not disobey his parents at some point? Furthermore, childbirth may help us to identify with Christ’s suffering that brings about life.

This passage came at a good time for me. The time has come for me to endure labor and the unknown once again. I'm down to the last days of this pregnancy and the anticipation is now at its defining turning point. All we can do is wait…The pain and suffering ahead of me is once again a bit frightening, and yet I am trusting God to help me through. I’m also trusting in him to prepare me and my family for the challenges and joys that this new baby boy will bring.

John 16:21 says A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.  What a comforting scripture during this time. Thank you Lord for this beautiful moment in my life, please give me comfort and perseverance to get me through.

Psalm 56:3: What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment